How to add value to your property before selling it!
If you’re thinking about putting your house up for sale but it’s looking tired, there are several ways to give it a new lease of life. Tired, old homes can be freshened up by simply giving it a couple of coats of paint. This will make your home look more modern and appealing and potentially increase the value of your property. Both interior and exterior paint jobs could lead to better returns when it comes time to sell your property. A newly painted home will be likely worth more and it may also interest more potential buyers.
The following are some of the considerations for interior decorating:
- Colour matching.
- Colour contrasts and feature walls.
- Woodwork, doors and trim.
- Type of paint; matt, eggshell, satin, silk, etc.
- The finish and application of the paint depending on the surface.
- Painting difficult areas such as ceilings, stairways and cornices.
- Interior windows and metal fixtures such as radiators.
- Hand painted kitchen units to bring aging cabinets back to life.
It is equally important to consider the exterior as well as the interior of the home, nobody buying a new house wants the task of organising exterior painting whilst they have the whole expense of moving.
The following are some of the considerations for exterior painting:
- Dust sheets and covers.
- Weather and environment.
- Paint quality and finish.
- Surface preparation – clean, fill and sand.
- Make sure the surface is in a good state of repair.
- Use an exterior primer suitable for the substrate it’s going on to.
- Colour variation and surface coverage.
- Patios and decking.
- Tidy up as you do the job.
The above points are just a few of the considerations when painting the interior and exterior of your property to add value. If you are considering selling, then we believe that the above are crucial, equally, if you are just looking to improve the appearance and have no intention of selling then much of the above are relevant considerations.
To be sure that you get the best job done you are always advised to engage a professional.
At Borthwick Decorators we will happily discuss your interior decorating or exterior painting project with you.
Please contact us on 0800 772 3973 or visit our website www.borthwickdecorators.co.uk to learn more about our services.
We have recently been appointed as Trade Decorator Product Reviewer and we will be featuring in The Scottish Decorators Federation Magazine “Decorating Matters” on a Bi-Monthly basis. Our work has also featured on the front page of The Painting and Decorating Association’s Magazine “The Decorator”. We have also featured in other publications. To learn more about Borthwick Decorators we have put together this short video www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFVBSw-aFJE